Friday, Oct. 7
- DLHS Homecoming Parade, 2pm, DLHS to Washington Square Mall. If you or your business would like to participate in the parade, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Runaway June Concert, 8pm, Shooting Star Casino; tickets at 800-453-7827, www.starcasino.com
Saturday, Oct. 8 – Sunday, Oct. 16
- Walk for the Wild, celebrate National Wildlife Refuge Week by doing a 5K (3.1 mile) walk through the wilds of the refuge. This well marked, self-guided interpretive walk will take you through the forest & meadow habitat as you learn about the national wildlife refuge system. Check in at the visitor center for location of route & token for your accomplishment. 218-847-2641, www.fws.gov/refuge/tamarac
Saturday, Oct. 8
- Lakes Pet Fest Fast & Furriest 5k, 8:30am, DL Pavilion; contact email@example.com , more information at www.lakespetfest.com
- Winter Gear Give-a-way for Children (preschool – high school), 9am-2pm, Trinity Lutheran Church. One item of each category per student (winter jackets, snow pants, boots, hats, mittens/gloves, sweatshirts). No charge.
- Lakes Pet Fest Toy & Treat Bar, 9am-5pm, Becker Pet & Garden; www.lakespetfest.com
- Lakes pet Fest Woof Woof Day, 10am, Mi Cartagena Café ; stop by with your pet & get a free pet treat.
- Lakes Pet Fest Playdate Storytime & Open Gym, 10-11am, Lincoln Ed. Center; bring your favorite stuffed animal for a playdate. Join Eliza from the DL Public Library for a Pet Themed Storytime & play with your stuffie in open gym activities at LEC gym. www.lakespetfest.com
- Lakes Area Farmer’s Market, 10am-1pm, Peoples Park; www.lakesareafarmersmarket.info
- Prairie Masters Golf Tournament, 11am shotgun start, Wildflower Golf Course. Two person scramble & open to the public. Call 888-752-9945 to register or email Emily@fairhillsresort.com
- The Wolf Den-Stuff Your Own Furry Friend, 11am-1pm, Washington Square Mall; hosted by the Becker Co. Museum. Cost is $22 for a 16” animal, $15 for an 8” animal. 218-847-2938
- Lakes Pet Fest Sippin’ With Our Furry Friends, 12-3pm, Seven Sisters Spirits; www.lakespetfest.com
- Lakes Pet Fest Barktoberfest, 4-7pm, Bucks Mill Brewing; gaming, silent auction, food & more to benefit Humane Society of the Lakes. Ticketed event. www.lakespetfest.com
- “Christmas in October” Event, 4-7pm, Forest Edge Gallery; enjoy the beautiful fall colors, do some early Christmas shopping, music on the patio with Damian Anderson, refreshments, fire pits will be burning, horse-drawn wagon rides. The Gallery will also be open from 11am-5pm. 218-342-2681, www.forestedgeartgallery.com
- DL Jaycees Gun Bingo, doors open at 6pm, first game starts at 7pm, DL Pavilion; 15 guns to giveaway, open to 18 & older. More info at www.facebook.com/dljaycees
- Smokin’ Amp DJ, 9pm, Holiday Inn
Sunday, Oct. 9
- Holy Rosary School Marathon, 1pm
Tuesday, Oct. 11
- DL Breakfast Rotary presents “Wine & Dine”, 5:30pm cash bar, 6pm dinner, Spanky’s Stone Hearth. Tickets are advance purchase only. For more information & to purchase tickets, contact DL BreakfastRotary@gmail.com
Wednesday, Oct. 12
- :45 Fill-up monthly Chamber Member Meeting, 8:15-9am, HomeSmart Adenture Realty, 1012 Washington Avenue
M State Offerings . . . . . .
***Message from the Detroit Lakes Police Department****
The Detroit Lakes Police Department would like to remind individuals and businesses to remain aware of ongoing cyber security threats, particularly email phishing scams. Businesses continue to be prime targets of email phishing scams because the criminals can typically target larger amounts of money from businesses than from individual persons. Recently, some local businesses have fallen victim to email scams, resulting in tens of thousands of lost dollars. Businesses can help limit their risks of falling victim to scams by educating employees about certain things to watch for when using email. The following suggestions and more information regarding internet crimes can be found at the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) website at https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you/safety-resources/scams-and-safety/on-the-internet
- Examine the email address in all correspondence and scrutinize website URLs. Scammers often mimic a legitimate site or email address by using a slight variation in spelling. Or an email may look like it came from a legitimate company, but the actual email address is suspicious.
- Do not click the link in an unsolicited text message or email that asks you to update, check, or verify your account information. If you are concerned about the status of your account, go to the company’s website to log into your account or call the phone number listed on the official website to see if something does in fact need your attention.
- Carefully scrutinize all electronic requests for a payment or transfer of funds.
- Be extra suspicious of any message that urges immediate action.
- Make online purchases with a credit card for an extra layer of protection against fraud.
- Do not send money to any person you meet online or allow a person you don’t know well to access your bank account to transfer money in or out.
Sergeant Chad Glander
Detroit Lakes Police Department
807 Summit Avenue
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
fishing report, http://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/fishing-report or call 218-847-5743.
We’re on facebook! “Like” our pages at